Cyprus is a stunning island of striking contradictions. On the one hand, it is a place untouched by the chaos of modern life; brimming with charming cobblestone villages where children play freely and locals gather at the 'Kafeneio' to sip strong Greek coffee whilst enjoying a game of backgammon. It is a small island with a big personality waiting to tell its often-overlooked but utterly fascinating history. However, Cyprus is also a vibrant and youthful destination promising action-packed days under the Mediterranean sun and wild nights...
Luxury Holidays in Cyprus
Of course, no luxury holiday is complete without a visit to the spa. Cyprus boasts a selection of luxury hotels whose spas offer innovative and unique treatments including sea-related therapy such as Thalassotherapy (using mineral-rich seawater and seaweed to rejuvenate the skin) and algae wraps. Whatever you choose you are bound to discover new levels of relaxation and leave feeling totally rejuvenated.
Great Reasons to visit Cyprus
- Beaches - Cyprus is famed for its calm turquoise waters and sun-kissed golden sands.
- Nature - Admire the rugged pine-scented peaks, quaint villages and picturesque cascades of the Troodos mountains, you can even ride a donkey through its winding paths. Spot flamingos on Larnaca's majestic salt lakes.
- History and Culture - Discover numerous UNESCO world heritage sites including Ottoman castles, holy Muslim mosques, and breathtaking Roman mosaics.
- Cuisine - Dine at a traditional taverna for a Cypriot Meze which allows you to sample everything on the menu!
- Nightlife - Visit a 'bouzouki' and dance your way into the early hours accompanied by the seductive sounds of the 'bouzouki', or hit a buzzing strip of open-air clubs in Ayia Napa, a top European party destination rivalled only by Ibiza.
Things to do whilst on holiday in Cyprus
Discover the island's rich history and mythological roots in western Cyprus. Here you will find the Paphos Archaeological Park, a fascinating historical site displaying spectacular Roman mosaics, villas, palaces and theatres as well as both prehistoric and classical Hellenistic monuments. Also in Paphos lies 'Petra tou Romiou' (Aphrodite's rock) the site where Aphrodite - the goddess of love and beauty - is said to have emerged from the sea, and the 'Bath of Aphrodite', a magical pool grotto bedecked in fig trees, believed to be the meeting place of Aphrodite and Adonis.
Visit the beautiful village of Lefkara, famous for lace-making and silver handicrafts. Wonder through the narrow cobbled streets where women can be seen on their doorsteps at all hours of the day carefully embroidering the speciality lace referred to as 'Lefkaritika'.
Families and thrill-seekers alike can enjoy hours of adventure at one of Cyprus' fantastic waterparks. Choose from Ayia Napa's WaterWorld or Limassol's Fasouri.
Oenophiles will delight in the annual Limassol Wine Festival which takes place for two weeks at the end of August until early September. The festival is full of live Greek music, dancing, and plenty of authentic Cypriot delicacies from 'souvlaki' and 'Kleftiko' (succulent slow cooked lamb) to 'Loukmades' (a traditional syrup glazed treat). The festival celebrates the many delicious Cypriot wines, and visitors are invited to try 'treading grapes' whilst dancing to traditional bouzouki music.
Weather in Cyprus
Cyprus enjoys a typical Mediterranean climate however its proximity to southwest Asia means that it enjoys some of the hottest summers in the Mediterranean. The spring and summer seasons guarantee clear skies, high temperatures and plenty of sunshine, meanwhile the winter and autumn months offer a milder and often rainy climate.
Facts about Cyprus
- Total population - 1,117,000
- Area - 3,572 sq miles
- Currency - Euro
- Time Zone - Eastern European (UTC+02:00)
Cyprus Holidays 2023 / 2024
Immaculate golden beaches, history, mythology, charming cobblestone villages, food, music and wine... no matter what you are looking for, you will find it in Cyprus. Book now and let Kenwood Travel transport you to one of Europe's most unique and diverse destinations.