Holidays to Qatar are a particularly unique experience. This small country, and capital city of Doha, are in a state of growth right now, making this a very exciting time for both residents and its increasingly large legions of tourists. Its burgeoning façade continues to grow with magnificent results, and its citizens are only too welcoming. Fantastic seafront architecture and the Corniche promenade by the harbour show off this area's pristine, super-modern side.
Contrasting this rapid modernisation, however, is a city of rich and fascinating history. Human settlement has been found here from 50,000 years ago and Doha itself has played a central role in establishing the Islamic civilisation. Because of its protrusion into the Arabian Gulf, Doha has always been an important fishing town and port, and the Qatari peninsula has long been a land of roaming tribes from miles around. Today, its numerous museums continue to show off this history.
Luxury holidays in Qatar
Luxury hotels in Qatar are exactly that: pure luxury. Doha’s harbour-front properties in particular are highly desirable, while the service culture therein is uncompromisingly brilliant. Exquisite buildings are dressed internally with grand, traditional Arabesque features, while the modernities are nothing short of state-of-the-art.
Things to do on holiday in Qatar
The best way to experience Qatar and Doha is to mix old and the new. Perhaps spend the morning checking out the museums and cultural attractions such as the Katara Cultural Village which is a purpose-built entertainment area with an amphitheatre, pop-up museums and exhibitions.
After a cultural showering, it’s time to go shopping, and Doha is the place to be. With many super-modern malls – including the Villaggio Mall with its indoor canal system – and the excitement of Doha’s vibrant souks, you could spend limitless hours mulling around enjoying the sights and sounds.
Of course, with temperatures rarely dipping below 24C and a gulf location with plenty of sand, Qatar attracts beach lovers. Explore the natural beaches to the east of Doha or the man-made beaches of The Pearl. Spend a day or so lazing in the sunshine, snorkelling, trying out water sports or taking a boat ride. Sunbathers are recommended to visit their hotel beach, as private beaches sometimes don't accommodate sunbathing.
10 great reasons to holiday in Qatar
- Enjoy year-round sunshine.
- Stay in one of Doha’s luxurious beachfront hotels.
- Authentic cultural delights including the Souq Waqif where you can pick up local items.
- Adventure fun activities including dune bashing and seeing the Inland Sea, a world phenomenon.
- Explore Doha’s thriving art scene - the Museum of Islamic Art, Arab Museum of Modern Art and more.
- World-class restaurants offering international as well as authentic Qatari cuisine.
- Discover Qatar’s cultural heritage with a visit to the Al Zubarah Fort, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Take a traditional dhow boat ride around Doha viewing the skyline.
- Walk along the Corniche, a long promenade stretching out in front of Doha or around the marina at the Pearl-Qatar.
- See the traditional sports of horse racing, camel racing and traditional falconry.
Interesting facts about Qatar
- Area – 132 sq. kilometres (Doha)
- Population – 1,312,947 (Doha)
- Currency – Qatari Riyal(QAR)
- 80% of Qatari residents live in Doha.
- Qatar will host the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
- Southwest of Doha ‘Singing Sand Dunes’ are found, a rare phenomenon whereby perfect wind and humidity conditions cause the sand dunes to hum.
- The Pearl-Qatar represents a string of pearls as a nod to its former status as a pearl-diving industry hub.
- Once fully complete, The Pearl will add 32 kilometres of coastline to Doha at a cost of $15 billion.
Weather in Qatar
Qatar’s extremely hot desert climate rarely sees rainfall, and between May and September, the hot season barely goes under 30C in the daytime and has recorded temperatures as high as 49C.
Qatar holidays 2024 / 2025
If you’re looking for luxury holidays, weddings and honeymoons, then look no further. With a proven track record in holidays since 1977, Kenwood Travel can offer you a bespoke package to Doha and Qatar. To avoid disappointment, book early and lock in next year's holiday places today.