Koh Tao Holidays
A holiday to Koh Tao takes in the best of what islands like Koh Samui and Koh Phangan have to offer, without the hustle and bustle that hurry you through your day. It is a calm, collected experience on Koh Tao, and this is reflected not only by its standard of living, but also in its way of life.
Diving and watersports are the order of the day here, as the waters and beaches around the island are so calm and untouched, people feel like they have all the time in the world. Accentuate that feeling around the island’s extremities and explore the secluded neighbouring island of Koh Nangyuan off the north west coast, or tiny island satellites to the south.
Luxury Holidays in Koh Tao
In keeping with Koh Tao's laid-back atmosphere, its luxury hotels often feature quiet huts and villas, or boutique hotel-style accommodations. Whilst lavishly appointed with Western-style amenities, they still manage to reflect the easy living commonly associated with this island. With secluded beachfronts, hidden lagoons and spas set within tropical jungle, you’ll find the Koh Tao lifestyle an unrivalled paradise on any budget.
10 Great Reasons to Holiday in Koh Tao
- Learn to Scuba dive – one of the cheapest places in the world to get open-water certification
- Learn to freedive
- Like Koh Samui or Koh Phangan without the hustle
- Casual but fun nightlife of Ban Hat Sai Ri and Ban Mae Hat
- Sairee Beach – a gorgeous stretch making up most of the west coast
- Old fishing village charm of Mae Haad Town and Bay
- Swim with reef sharks in Shark Bay
- See rock formation at Cape Taa Toh that resembles a sitting Buddha
- Mountain biking across the hilly jungle regions
- Rock climbing around Chalok Baan Kao
Things to Do in Koh Tao
Diving, diving, diving. Anyone who’s been to Koh Tao will come back to regale you with their first foray beneath the waves. Its position in the Gulf of Thailand means the water is calm, while its stunning reefs, the vibrant colours of its aquatic surroundings and droves of PADI dive centres make this as much one of the best dive spots on the planet for novices as it is for the pros.
Snorkelling is of course equally as popular and rewarding. However, for the exceptionally brave, Koh Tao is a global hotspot for freediving, and there are several acclaimed schools here.
Cycling or motorbiking across the rugged inland is a popular pastime. Koh Tao is a hilly and diverse terrain without ever elevating to monumental heights. Couple this with some exciting rock climbing and bouldering spots especially around the Chalok Baan Kao region and the adventure holiday enthusiast should be more than satisfied.
Explore the Gulf of Thailand’s neighbouring islands around Mu Koh Ang Thong and Koh Tao’s concealed coastlines by boat and discover hidden beaches and coves of beauty and complete seclusion.
Weather in Koh Tao
Located in Southern Thailand, you can expect some stunning weather. Unique to its neighbours, Koh Tao offers a 10-month high season for tourists to enjoy its beauty. Peak seasons occur between February and April, and again between July and September. During these times temperatures can rise up to 40 degrees.
Interesting Facts About Koh Tao
- Area – just 21 sq. kilometres
- Population – 1,382 (in 2006)
- Currency – Thai Baht
- Koh Tao means ‘Turtle Island’ – the waters were once rich with sea turtles, and a program of reintroduction is currently underway to redress that balance
- There is a sacred boulder at Jor Por Ror Bay where, in 1899, King Chulalongkorn inscribed his monogram after visiting the island
- In the mid-20th century it was a detention centre for political prisoners
- The island was once uninhabited. In fact, the first proper settlement was not established until 1947, when Khun Ueam and twin brother Khun Oh sailed from Koh Phangan to claim land on Sairee Beach.
Koh Tao Holidays 2024 / 2025
Book now to avoid disappointment for your 2024 / 2025 holidays to Thailand. Here at Kenwood Travel, we have over 45 years’ experience in finding all inclusive or bespoke holiday packages to suit all kinds of budgets, to completely tailor your holidays to Koh Tao. Give us a call today.