Take its black lava caves, frosty mountains and white sand beaches and you've only touched on how diverse Gran Canaria can be. Take a stroll through hilltop Tejeda’s winding streets, sip wine by the beach in a boutique Las Palmas cafe, then explore the ingrained African, Chinese, Indian and Spanish cultures you’ll discover sprinkled throughout the island. Afterwards embrace life off the island’s coast, where locals and travellers alike mingle with dolphins, rays, turtles and, - if they’re lucky - whales.
Luxury Holidays in Gran Canaria
There’s beach-bliss, high-end shopping, sunset cruises and more at your fingertips on a luxury holiday to Gran Canaria. And what makes it better are the upscale services waiting at your resort every night. Prepare to indulge in a world of comfort, including fine dining, spa services, pool bars and more - all whilst surrounded by Gran Canaria’s unique volcanic beauty. This is an island well-known for its luxury resorts, and we can see why.
Great reasons to holiday in Gran Canaria
- The Outdoors - Gran Canaria is a hill walker’s paradise, and features inhabited cave villages, lakeside walks, and mountain scenery.
- The Beaches - The south coast of Gran Canaria has ‘beach break’ written all over it, and features the 4 km "Playa del Inglés" and "Maspalomas".
- The Surf - Known as ‘The Hawaii of the Atlantic,’ Gran Canaria is famous for its surfing hotspots on the island’s north coast.
- Golf Clubs - Gran Canaria features Spain’s oldest golf club alongside eight newer courses for you to practice your putt.
- Diving - This is one of Europe’s best places for scuba diving, and marine life ranges from the endangered angel sharks to turtles and butterfly rays.
Things to do whilst on holiday in Gran Canaria
- Charter a cruise. Whether it’s a sunset cruise, a whale watching excursion, or a boat diving session: this is one of the best ways to get a feel for the island’s vibe.
- Explore Valsequillo, a lush national park that’s perfect for casual strolls, adventure hikes or forest picnics.
- The Cave Villages - Gran Canaria is home to numerous cave villages. Make sure to see La Cueva Pintada - the only painted cave on the island.
- Ride a camel through Maspalomas dunes, or get up close with the camels instead at Arteara Camel Park
- Take a Jeep excursion and ride through Gran Canaria dirt tracks to see the island’s wild side.
Weather in Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria’s weather can be as diverse as its geography. Visitors could see frost or snow in the mountainous regions followed by a comfortable 25C on the south coast. Generally Gran Canaria sees warm temperatures year round, with an average of 27C over the summer months and 20C during winter. Rainfall is rare, with July, August and September barely seeing a drop - so no need to pack your umbrella.
Gran Canaria Facts
- Location – The Canary Isles
- Area – 1560 km²
- Currency – Euro
- Time Zone – GMT
- Flight time from UK: 4 hours 30 minutes.
Gran Canaria Holidays 2021 / 2022
Booking your Gran Canaria holiday in advance is the easiest way to secure your perfect dates at a lower price. At Kenwood Travel we deal directly with hotels and airlines to cut out the middle man and save you money. Peruse our collection of Gran Canaria hotels and give one of our travel experts a call to start planning your escape to the Canary Isles online today.