As the name suggests, a holiday in Big Island will take you to the largest of the eight major islands of Hawaii and to an assortment of beautiful and unique landscapes. Home to one of the world's most active volcanoes and an abundance of mesmerising beaches, Big Island truly is a distinct canvas of natural beauty unrivalled the world over. Here you can experience the likes of rainforests, volcanic deserts, beautiful beaches, and even snow-capped mountains all on the one island!
Luxury Holidays in Big Island
For an indulgent trip to this unique paradise, let Big Island Holidays present you with some of the most luxurious resorts and finest facilities available on the island. Here you can choose to be as ‘active’ as the volcanoes or unwind to your hearts content.
Imagine yourself catching some rays on the olivine crystal sand beaches with majestic views of the turquoise waters and lush mountainsides. Adorned with so many shades of green, it would even leave the ‘Emerald Isle’ of Ireland feeling blue!
10 Great Reasons to Holiday in Big Island
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park- Home to the mighty Kilauea Volcano, witness the glow of lava lakes and eerie smoking craters.
- Experiencing 11 of the 13 climatic zones in the world
- Some of the world's best surf
- Visit the only tropical zoo in the United States with a trip to Panaewa Rainforest Zoo
- Coffee Plantations – Get a rich taste of fresh Kona coffee.
- Downtown Hilo – Discover local treasures in the island’s buzzing capital city.
- A trip to the historic and cultural seaside village of Kailua
- The two gorgeous waterfalls at Akaka Falls State Park
- Visiting Hapuna beach with over a mile and a half of white sandy beach
- Hamakua Coast – Admire waterfalls and tropical rainforests on this spellbinding scenic drive.
Things to Do While on Holiday in Big Island
With so many sights, activities, and things to do on the island you might want to consider spending an extra week! A definite must is a trip to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park where you can experience the Kilauea Volcano up close and personal. Erupting sporadically since 1983 you can explore the giant craters, stream vents, walk-through lava tubes and see the brand new land being created.
Look to the stars for some amazing stargazing on the snow-topped mountain of Mauna Kea. This observatory has gigantic telescopes for you to gaze through and unlock the mysteries of the sky.
If shopping is your thing then take a trip to the Keauhou Shopping Center, where you can shop till you drop or participate in some of the entertainment and cultural demonstrations. Anyone can unleash the musician inside them with a free ukulele lesson. For a night on the tiles visit Huggo’s on the Rocks. This gem of a nightspot generates a fantastic buzz, with its outdoor bar and dance club you are guaranteed a great night out.
Big Island Weather
There are only really two seasons on the Hawaiian Islands and the weather remains consistent throughout the year with only a few minor differences in temperature. The summer months running from May to October see an average temperature of 29 C with the winter months from November to April seeing average temperatures of 25 C. Temperatures do drop the higher elevation you go.
Interesting Facts About Big Island
- Population – 175,784
- Area – 4,028 sq. miles
- Currency – US Dollar
- Hawaii became the newest of the 50 states of America in August 1959
Big Island Holidays 2024 / 2025
Please avoid disappointment and book early for your 2024 and 2025 holidays. With Kenwood Travel you’ll find bespoke luxury holidays and assorted getaways, always with a personal touch. We refer to over 45 years worth of experience to help you uncover your perfect Hawaiian adventure.